In 1994, John Young founded YECS in the UAE to provide specialist construction services for problems with reinforced concrete and steel construction specific to the Middle East. He had been working in the region since 1983, after nearly a decade doing quality assurance and control for roads and bridges in the UK. His experience with managing materials testing laboratories for concrete, steel, asphalt, and earthworks in Kuwait, Turkey, and the UAE highlighted the contrast between the climates of the two regions.
It was clear that reinforced concrete deteriorated more rapidly in the Middle East. Construction in the region often utilized American and European design codes, which are based on temperate climates, and these standards were not appropriate for the harsh environment of the Middle East. Premature failure of structures is a major problem, and YECS was created to solve it.
We are dedicated to understanding the deterioration of reinforced concrete and all the technologies available to repair damage and enhance the durability of new construction. Since its formation, YECS has been at the forefront of forensic investigation, using a wide range of tests to diagnose structural defects. The firm has participated in conferences held by the Bahrain Society of Engineers and has met with such pioneers as Peter Fookes, an instrumental figure in Middle Eastern concrete construction and contributor to the CIRIA construction guides.
To offer the highest quality and more cost-effective service to our clients, we always stay abreast of current technical developments. The firm has access to several databases and technical reference sources and has accumulated a wealth of technical literature related to construction in the Middle East. We also continue learning through our relationships with contractors, material suppliers, applicators, and manufacturers, while remaining independent and impartial regarding their products and services.
We provide expert, independent, and impartial advice on structural design and durability, based on over 30 years of experience with steel and concrete construction in the Middle East. That means we...
- Apply a forensic approach to diagnose the root cause of structural damage and find the most cost-effective repair strategy.
- Provide unbiased 3rd party opinions and design recommendations for both new buildings and structures undergoing refurbishment.
- Utilize state-of-the-art software for structural analysis and design.
- Model the deterioration process to accurately predict service life in the harsh Middle East climate.
- Enhance structural durability using specialist materials and techniques for waterproofing and protection.
- Manage the work of contractors during the restoration process to minimize disruption to building owners and operators.
- Maintain close ties with construction industry stakeholders, such as the statutory authorities, professional associations, and material suppliers.
YECS is dedicated to providing the highest quality services to its clients. We are committed to:
- Provide expert, independent, and impartial advice to clients on engineering and management issues.
- Accurately diagnose the cause of defects and deterioration to buildings and infrastructure and ensure that technically correct and cost-effective maintenance and repair solutions are developed and applied.
- Provide careful project management of construction repair and building refurbishment work to minimize disruption to tenants and building owners.
- Improve the quality of construction in the UAE through appropriate advice, education, and training.
- Always work to high ethical and moral standards.